Schlock the Monger
Yes he’s finally back after incredible demand!!! First remember the Monger is not to be taken seriously-
anything said here is intended to be for fun and hopefully a few laughs…..no one in their right mind
should ever consider anything I say to be important. With that said here goes….draft day observations:
Draft room was warm and toasty with hot action from 18 determined captains. A new horizon for
number of teams under the great leadership of Kyle….oops I mean Wayne Casper…the man who has
helped revolutionize the direction of our league. Unprecedented growth and interest in a terrific league
is now the order of the day. We welcome new meat in the form of Abbey “roads” Garber, “Larry” David
Buhrow, and Rob “in” Zane to the coaching dais. They all seemed to hold their own in a heated draft.
Larry “14 Karat” Goldstein was in abscencia which might explain his good draft….Bobby “Fine” Weinfeld
did not disappoint redrafting the same team he has now had for the last 20 years. Scott “alka” Sulzer
had his best draft ever of course being councelled by his fine mentor yours truly. Larry “what does he”
Lachman had a very interesting draft selecting 3 rookies in his first 3 picks…..could work out but was
a bit of a head scratcher to this observer…..but Larry indeed marches to a different drummer. Paul
Rakofsky had a pretty easy draft….5 of his 12 picks were family members which allowed Paul a lot of
down time which he used wisely to study the weather. One major upset saw John Unell not pass on
any of his selections…..don’t know if Bob Davis meant to do it but he leads the league in Goyim-9 of
12….hmmmmm??? My team total balance, 6 and 6….clearly I’m a popularist.
Here are my team analysis with predictions of possible finish….no records are predicted:
These are by Conferences from 1-9
1. Farin’s Yanks (Damn it)-This team has an excellent leader, good power, great pitching, and
plenty of offense deep into the order. OF looks solid, if Hickey can be a full time SS, they are ok
in the IF….so this looks like the team to beat.
2. Garber’s Riverdogs (mud puppies)-Rook manager is long on evaluation talent. He assembled
a strong squad. IF looks solid. Power is ok, not frightening. Lot of offensive punch throuought.
Good team speed. P could be a bit of a challenge and the OF appears to be a bit light. This team
will definitely be in the hunt.
3. Silverman’s Rangers (Rangers)-Going for unprecedented and galactic hights this team appears to
have some talent. Power and speed abound. Offensive ability is available in the late part of the
line up. Infield will be solid especially if Tony Martin becomes the every day SS. OF will be green
at the corners with lots of speed-the Lefky bros…but there could be a learning curve there.
Pitching will be fine but untested. Team should and will be in the hunt.
4. Hauf’s Sea Dogs-(Hush Puppies)-Nice looking squad with solid manager. Limited power. Good
speed and decent lower third of order. OF looks good…IF may be a bit leaky…Pitching solid. This
team will be in the fight a long time.
5. Davis Bulls-(Cows)-The all goyim squad will be very competitive and may challenge the top as
well. Bob is a fine coach who knows how to keep the squad loose. Team has plenty of power and
offensive punch. Speed is ok in spots. Defense will be the question….depending on who pitches
and plays what position???
6. Unell’s Stars (Really)-Unell’s team will be a sleeper this year but will they actually wake up??
Speed in top half of order and not in bottom. Power, not really….punch, yes. Defense and
pitching look good ….who plays infield??
7. Goldstein’s Muckdogs (Water logged)-JJ Eusay, T Will, Jeff Goodman-all Ranger past Champs-
good stock but is it enough?? Infield looks really good-pitching should be ok….OF appears a bit
light. Power is there, but offense looks a bit spotty in middle/end of lu. Speed is not apparent.
This team could surprise with the JJ mojo….I do think they will be around 500.
8. London’s Scrappers (minus the S)-Good looking squad for skipper Brad…. Excellent rook in John
Mann, the Nutt boys solid up the middle and on offense. This team look s a bit light in the lower
½ of the order. Corners and pitching are ok, but not a plus. Good speed but not much power.
Maybe a sleeper, maybe not.
9. Miller’s Angels(Dewinged)-John is a fine manager but may not have his best squad in a while(see
last year for my pick and how wrong I was). Should be ok in infield D-assuming BUC can cover
the 2nd base area-I know he can cover it, but can he move??? OF looks good, not great. Offense
looks spotty with only a small bit of power…..will have hitting late in the order that should
help…in a great conference this team doesn’t quite measure up.
1. Sulzer’s Indians(Injuns)-Sulzy drafted a great team-can they overcome Scott-I say yes!!! This
team looks solid in all defensive areas…pitching could be a slight issue if Scott can’t go and or do
the job. Speed abounds…power is ok, offense looks deep….this team should be the nuts.
2. Schnitzer’s Blue Wahoos (Woo Hoo)-Scnitz drafted a very solid squad-good pop and speed. IF
looks strong and pitching is in good hands. The OF looks a bit light but will be ok. I expect this
team to be in the hunt at the end.
3. Roth’s Owlz (Cooky Birds)-If this team can stay calm it might be the Champ. Decent power and
lots of offensive punch. Speed is good. Pitching excellent and OF will be solid. SS may be a ?
Could be a serious contender….lets see.
4. Rakofsy’s Red Sox(Stained)-Paul has a squad that can be counted in the final fight. Pitching and
IF will be solid…OF ok but a bit leaky. Good speed an athletic bunch. Looks a bit light on total
offense and just a few too many holes….but they will be a factor.
5. Buhrow’s Baby Jays(Kids)-David in his rookie campaign has a nice squad who might surprise.
Good pop and some speed. OF strong but IF could use some help….great pitching and decent
offense in 2nd half of order…..they are missing something but they could sneak up and win this
thing….don’t think so.
6. Zane’s Reds(Blue)-Another newby will have to pay his dues….nice squad but several
holes….defense looks ok but some positions are not clear to me. Good speed except Manuel
“labor”….who is a pedigree of last two year’s Ranger championships and brings a great BB in
Josh. Offensive punch looks just ok and runs may be hard to come by….they are a sleeper who
could awaken towards the top but I don’t think so.
7. Casper’s Storm(cloudy)- Too many holes….soft at last 3rd of offense…good speed….just light
in OF and short a bit in the IF. Pitching solid if WC stays healthy…..this team could really be a
surprise and I won’t bet against it….nor will I bet on it.
8. Lachman’s Royals(Laching)-Confused and dazed in TSSB is I…. not sure what this team has but I
don’t think they will contend.
9. Weinfeld’s Pirates(Bucaroos)-Bob….same old story…..good luck-please pay the $10 in small